Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Apple Cookies

First Post!

This is my first post to my new blog on cookies. I've been sharing my hobby with friends for the last while and have got to point that posting the odd photo on Facebook is not enough.

A fair warning; most of the cookies I make are 'geeky', deal with it, I'm a programmer :P

For my first cookie I will be making a simple cutter cookie (a cookie that you cut into shapes using a cookie cutter):


The Cookie Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2.5 cup flour
  • 2 tbsp magic powder
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup butter (melted)
  • 1 tbsp lemon zest
Mix thoroughly all ingredients in a bowl, then once combined, place in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Once the dough is firmed up it will be ready for rolling. Sprinkle some flour onto a flat surface and use a standard rolling pin to roll the dough (the flour prevents the dough from sticking to the pin and/or surface).


Next choose a shape you want to make. In my case I chose to make the an Apple. I used a 7cm diameter round cutter to make the initial circle, then a smaller 5cm diameter cutter to carve the bite out, reusing it as the leaf. For the leaf to attach on properly I just cut a notch out with a paring knife and trimmed the bottom to form the apple shape. Yes, to make three dozen took a long time :)

The next step after forming all the cookies was to bake them in the oven on 375F for about 20 minutes (until they turned golden brown).

Once I had made about three dozen cookies I decided that I would glaze them in one of four different colours.



The Icing:
  • 2 whole egg whites
  • 4 cups icing sugar
  • 1/2 tsp lemon juice.
The final result was a very light cookie with a soft icing glaze. On completing this batch I questioned my choice of using lemon zest to flavour the cookie batter, cinnamon and a small amount of apple juice may have been more in theme... the nice thing with these cookies is that I can always modify the recipe next time I make them.

Hope you enjoyed this cookie! :)