Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies

This week I tried to make Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies following the recipe from a nice looking book I received over the holiday. The pictures looked so good, and the recipe so easy... unfortunately the it turned out horrible, so I fixed cookie.

Original Ingredients:
1 cup butter
6 tbsp icing sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
6 oz of semi-sweet chocolate (for the dip)
The collection of ingredients when combined turned out to make something akin to cement. It couldn't be made extrude through a pipet, it could barely be rolled out into sheets :S Something needed to be corrected so that it would be more viscous.

Corrected Ingredients:

1 cup butter
6 tbsp icing sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp maple syrup
6 oz Vodka

For the Dip:
1 cup butter
6 oz of semi-sweet chocolate
8 oz of dark chocolate
6 oz Vodka

With the cookie dough recipe corrected I could now extrude the dough through a star shaped pipet. This still required a fare amount of effort, so I rolled the dough out and cut the shortbread into domino shaped bars. These were baked for 12 minutes at 350F.
Once the cookies were golden brown I let them cool, then started preparing the doctored dip. First I melted the butter, then added the various chocolates and let it slowly melt. Once melted to a velvety consistency I poured in the Vodka. Why did I do this? Because the recipe had vexed me and needed to be taught a lesson... a tasty lesson.
After taking their improved chocolate bath I tossed sweet toppings on to the cookies so they'd have some nice color to show off. Now the cookies were finally fit to be presented to my cookie club.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe, my alterations seemed to make them passible as decent members of my cookie collection.