Monday, July 26, 2010

Edible Bugs (Rice Krispie Square)

This cookie was inspired by Sheila's VW Beetle restoration project, her love of Rice Krispie squares, and her 30th birthday!!!
Earlier this year Sheila decided that it was time to fore-fill her dream of owning a classic VW Beetle, after searching high and low she finally found her bug and brought it home on a trailer. Ever since then she has been restoring the car, bit by bit. So when it came to deciding on what to make for her birthday dessert there was no question, I had to make her bug :)
Crafting this treat wasn't too difficult. First I made a large Rice Krispie square, then I used a knife to remove all the cereal treat that made the block look less like a bug ;)
Once I had the general shape I was looking for I prepared butter cream frosting for 'painting' the cookie. I used a piping bag with a flat nose for the bulking icing, and a pin hole tip for the black lining. Some white and orange gel icing pens were used for smaller accents. The white rimmed tires are repurposed white gummie rings.
I hope you all enjoyed this cookie - I know Sheila loved it!