Sunday, July 11, 2010

Vegan Cupcakes

Anne asked me to prepare some Vegan Cupcakes for a BBQ party over the weekend, having never made such a dessert this is my first foray into non-dairy baked goods. I found recipes online for the cupcake base and buttercream frosting. I will note for you that your going to have to at least double the base recipe if you want more than eight or nine cupcakes - I was able to yield 16 via two batches.
Finding the 'vegan' ingredients wasn't too difficult, with a simple trip to my local grocery store I was able to find soy milk, soy based non-hydrogenated margarine, and all-organic-vegan-fare-trade gummi bears (added to the frosting as decoration).
Since the batter doesn't fill up all twelve cupcake molds in my baking trays I added some water to each empty cup in order to help provide moisture during the baking process.
The vegan frosting presented something of an additional challenge - it doesn't set like regular frosting. I attempted to work around this issue by piping frosting in a spiral pattern around the cupcake. As the frosting began to drip it would naturally just fill in the spaces between the lines... it was somewhat successful but in the end it still dripped over the cupcake wrapper's edge.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe, I think Anne's cat Calleigh approved.